Don't loud me daddy

A couple of weeks ago we had a dinner party with some new found friends. One of our guests was a 2 year old who was very curious about everything including opening every door to every room of our home, forget personal privacy, hahaha. 

The reason I share this is there was something that little person said that really made me think about how we talk to our little ones and how it sounds and feels to them. When his father was getting frustrated with him, his dad said to the child, stop opening those doors, the little guy said, "Daddy don't loud me"--which meant, don't yell at me, which thankfully his father wasn't yelling, but I found it interesting how a child perceives different scolding and how we as adults need to be careful with our words and how we say them.



I loved what Ben Stein said about screaming at our children "Screaming at children over their grades, especially to the point of the child's tears, is child abuse, pure and simple. It's not funny and it's not good parenting. It is a crushing, scarring, disastrous experience for the child. It isn't the least bit funny."



Sources:

Picture http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/jun/02/workandcareers2
Quote http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/abuse.html#oPACA172083dVq5c.99

No comments: