Resilience

I found this quote today, if I had one word for this quote it would be Resilience. 
The definition of  Resilience from Merriam-Webster
: the ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens
: the ability of something to return to its original shape after it has been pulled, stretched, pressed, bent, etc.
Full Definition of RESILIENCE
1:  the capability of a strained body to recover its size and shape after deformation caused especially by compressive stress
2:  an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change 
The reason I actually went into martial arts and self defense was due to this word, resilience. One of my inner city students threatened my life. In these types of circumstances a person has a choice to  become a victim or to stand tall, in other words be a victim, always worried about what will happen next or choose to live life wonderfully.
I chose to be proactive and set out to learn how to protect myself. Several years after begining my education I began teaching people how to protect themselves. About a week after one of these self-defense classes, one of the participants, a Lady Doctor, called and said I had saved her life. For the first time in her career she found herself in a situation that could have been deadly if not for some of the techniques she had just learned in a short 2 hour class.

I love having the opportunity to empower resilient people!
 Resources: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resilience

No comments: